Most of us know that it’s important to see our dentist for regular cleanings and exams. But beyond that, when do you need to see a dentist?
Clearwater dentist, Dr. M. Bradley Jergins of ClearWhite Dental shares his advice: “The American Dental Association has come up with a list of 15 signs you should see a dentist. While that list is very informative, it mainly covers health issues,” says Dr. Jergins. “We also want our patients and friends to know that we are here for them if they are concerned or interested in cosmetic procedures or Invisalign.
“Still, it is very important to look over this list to see if you need more urgent care.”
15 Signs You Should See a Dentist
- Your teeth are sensitive to hot or cold
- Your gums are puffy and/or they bleed when you brush or floss
- You have fillings, crowns, dental implants, dentures, etc.
- You don’t like the way your smile or teeth look
- You have persistent bad breath or bad taste in your mouth
- You are pregnant
- You have pain or swelling in your mouth, face or neck
- You have difficulty chewing or swallowing
- You have a family history of gum disease or tooth decay
- You have a medical condition such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease,eating disorders, or are HIV positive
- Your mouth is often dry
- You smoke or use other tobacco products
- You are undergoing medical treatment such as radiation, chemotherapy or hormone replacement therapy
- Your jaw sometimes pops or is painful when opening and closing, chewing or when you first wake up; you have an uneven bite
- You have a spot or sore that doesn’t look or feel right in your mouth and it isn’t going away.
If you have any of these concerns or signs, please call us at 727-791-8823, and we’d be happy to help!