Nothing is more annoying than raging and reoccurring toothache. Due to unbearable pain, a toothache affects a person’s moods and potency to do everyday tasks. Teeth pain is common to adults and children, with tooth decay as the common cause. Our emergency dentist gives easy at-home remedies that provide relief from tooth pain.
Bacteria and Poor Brushing Habits can Cause Tooth Decay
Tooth decay is a result of bacteria that lives and stays on the mouth. When a person does not always brush his teeth after eating, the bacteria, which feed on the leftover starches and sugars from the food eaten, form a clinging plaque on the teeth surface. The acids formed by the bacteria can penetrate through the enamel of the tooth, thus, creating cavity. This will then result to a painful sensation that is generally called as toothache.
Quick Treatments for Toothaches
Treatments for toothache vary according to the intensity and nature of the pain. When the teeth pain is extreme, doctors generally recommend drugs and medications to alleviate the pain. For mild cases of toothache, over-the-counter prescription drugs are the common choices of most people to manage the pain.
Tooth Pain Relief with Medication
However, prescription drugs and medications have certain side effects when taken frequently. With this, easy-to-do teeth pain relief remedies are the best options to take as alternative to medications or drugs. Although these remedies are only recommended for mild cases of teeth pain, these options are becoming quite popular for they are safe, effective, and can be done right in the comfort of one’s home.
Simple Tooth Pain Relief Remedies
- Hand ice massage. One of the proven remedies for toothache is the hand ice massage. In this kind of remedy, one has to gently rub an ice in the area between the thumb and the forefinger for a couple of minutes. The ice stimulates the pain impulses that generally travel in the nerve pathways. In addition, a patch of ice placed directly on an aching tooth helps alleviate the pain.
- Onion. Since onions are known to have anti-bacterial properties that can kill germs and bacteria in the mouth, placing a tiny piece of onion on the aching tooth can lessen the pain.
- Garlic. Aside from onion, garlic is also known to be an effective remedy for an aching tooth. To try this kind of teeth pain reliever, one needs to place a clove of garlic with salt on the pained area of the teeth.
- Wheat grass. Wheat grass when turned into a juice is a perfect alternative mouthwash that prevents tooth decay. This toothache remedy checks bacterial formation in the mouth as well as removes gum toxins.
- Lime. Known as a rich source of Vitamin C, lime is a good toothache cure as it effectively prevents tooth decay.
- Salt. Salt when mixed with water is a top treatment that counters tooth infection and aids in alleviating teeth pain. Rinsing the mouth with salt water everyday helps prevent tooth decay and other mouth-related complications.
Toothaches may trigger anytime, and though this may seem like a temporary pain, ignoring it can lead to even more intense pain. Once a mild toothache strikes, try to use one of the easy home remedies mentioned above as an alternative cure to the pain. However, it is still best to consult an emergency dentist to know the complications of the aching tooth.