Creating Smiles Dental explains prevention
Prevention is a big buzz word. But do you know exactly what Dr. Brayer and her educated capable staff are helping you prevent? There are four dangers as discussed at last November’s Prevention Summit and they are as follows:
- Oral Cancer
- Periodontal Disease (gum disease)
- Caries (cavities or dental decay)
- Facial Injuries
You probably would have guessed cavities as one, and since gum disease is more common than the common cold, you may have been told you have it and therefore may have guessed that one two. But did you know that Creating Smiles Dental can help prevent facial injuries and oral cancer too? Oral health is a component to overall health. Preventative practices can help you manage your disease.
Speaking of #4, Facial Injuries, did you know that July is National Cleft & Craniofacial Awareness & Prevention Month? Click here to learn more about it.
These four conditions are important to not only dental health, but to overall health as well. Let us help you prevent these conditions in your families.
- We can help counsel patients about the role of tobacco, alcohol and other habits that can relate to oral cancer so that together we can eliminate risk factors and prevent it.
- Teeth loosen from the inflammation processes of periodontal disease regardless of if the gums become bleedy and painful or not. This increases systemic inflammatory markers which, if left untreated, can complicate otherwise healthy pregnancies, diabetic treatment, cardiac surgery, and can be linked to other conditions such as prostate cancer. This can be prevented and managed with appropriate dental cleanings, antimicrobial strategies, and effective home care products and practices.
- Dental decay happens when certain bacteria in plaque utilize dietary sugars to produce acid, which gradually erodes the tooth enamel and produces a hole or cavitation. Efforts to prevent this include minimizing dietary sugars, placing sealants on the chewing surfaces of the teeth, frequent cleaning of the mouth, and appropriate use of fluoride. If the decay is left untreated, it can infect the whole tooth including its pulp leading to the rest of the body producing serious facial infections leading to swelling, toxicity and sometimes death. Chronic dental infections can compromise the treatment of patients with comprehensive medical conditions including diabetes, hypertension, renal issues, or cancer treatments.
- Sports injuries, such as concussions are examples of facial trauma injuries. Some studies show that custom fitted mouthguards can reduce concussions by significant percentages. Other sports injuries, such as tooth breakage and tooth loss can be prevented by the appropriate use of mouth guards, of course. Abuse and accidents are also causes for facial injuries so we are trained in domestic violence as well.
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Has your mother told you that before? We hope so. That is ever so true with your oral health. The national average of preventative costs versus restorative costs is sobering as listed in the ADA’s prevention paper from January of this year.
We offer exams with digital x-rays, cleanings, night guards, mouth guards, sealants, and fluoride treatments. These services are available to adults as well as children. We also offer free consultations with our general dentists.
PerioSciences salivary antioxidant gel gets rid of damaging free radicals so your body can heal itself on its own. “Protect. Relieve and protect inflammation with PerioSciences Pro Advantage that you apply directly along gums” says this February 2012 Self magazine article. You do not need an appointment to try this product. Get free shipping now by clicking here or in the lower right of our website from any page!
Evora Pro oral probiotics are chewable tablets that help restore natural bacteria into the mouth. It is not for the digestive tract, it targets the mouth itself. The dissolvable tablet supports gum and tooth health both and even naturally whitens teeth while it fights bad breath causing bacteria. You already know the impact bacteria have on oral health so will be able to maintain a healthy bacteria balance between visits! You will get free shipping if you use code 100458 on the www.evoraprobiotics.com website if you forget to get more when you’re at our office.
- Once EvoraPro is dissolved in the oral cavity, a natural blend of beneficial bacteria binds to teeth and flourishes below the gingival margin
- EvoraPro helps to crowd out undesirable bacteria and helps maintain a healthy, natural balance of beneficial oral flora in the mouth
- EvoraPro is the first professional-strength oral probiotic that promotes whiter teeth, fresher breath and overall oral health
Click here for an article on the benefits of oral probiotics and see the image below for before and after results!
Clinpro 5000 prescription strength fluoride toothpaste is easy to use since you just have to hide your normal toothpaste. It has a mild minty flavor and will help restore enamel and reduce sensitivity while of course preventing cavities. It is especially helpful in patients with dry mouth, sensitivity, or a high risk for cavities. Patients love it after periodontal surgery as well. Click here for more info.
Fluoride Varnish is an adult topical fluoride treatment that is safe for babies’ first teeth too. It helps fill in the micro-pores on the teeth to prevent stain, sensitivity, bacteria build up, and cavities. It helps teeth to be more slick and smooth and is recommended after every cleaning even on low risk patients.
Creating Smiles Dental is here to help you with this. Click here for some more information about how we can help YOU with prevention.